Monday, April 17, 2017

Casting A Mold Rammer

Now that the furnace is complete I got a couple more casting projects done before winter set in. The first was a new aluminum mold rammer to replace the oversize wood rammer I had. The second a Dual 30" Belt Sander/Grinder I will do in the next post.

Below is a picture of the reworked pattern and the new aluminum rammer cleaned up and ready for use.


My old rammer was 3 1/2" diameter, to large to ram tight spots in the mold. I started by turning it down to 2 1/2" diameter.




After turning down I sawed it in half.


Drilled for and installed alignment pins. Gave it 2 coats of durathane to finish and seal the pattern.


Next I checked my molding sand, good detail and strength.



Half the pattern face down in the inverted drag section of flask. Everything gets a coat of parting dust and the drag is rammed up, mold board is applied and the drag rolled over.



Cope section of pattern is installed and the cope section placed on the drag section. The pouring and riser sprues are put in place, shake on more parting dust and the cope is rammed up.


Hollows are formed around the risers and pouring sprues and the mold is vented with a wire.


The next 2 pictures are the mold opened up, the sprues and pattern removed and the feed runners cut in the drag section. It is now ready to close up and cast the mold.



The melt ready to pour.


The mold poured. Because this was a heavy pour I clamped the cope and drag together to prevent possible runout.


The mold opened up.


The shake out and remainder of melt poured into ingot.


After cutting off the spues and feed channels, some filing and a good going over on the power wire wheel. A bit gassy but not bad, ready for use. I have yet to source some degas tablets.


Hope you found this little tutorial interesting or useful.