Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Odds And Ends

So referring to the previous post, the leak in the tractor fuel tank. After pulling apart the tractor and examining the fuel tank, I found a crack running across the joint that holds the two mold halves together, tough to repair, so I called Sears parts service. As everyone in Canada now knows Sears has just gone out of business in Canada. There automated service picked up, but after waiting an hour for the parts department to pick up, I gave up, guess its not maned anymore. I guess we will have to order from the States now, and from the way things are at the border lately, you can multiply the price by at least a factor of 2.

Timmins has a plastic welding shop, but I am not in the mood to make the trip. I have not done plastic welding before and don't want to risk destroying whats left of the tank. What to do? I dug out my (Sears, lol) hot glue gun and some glue sticks from many years ago. I figured the heat would provide a good bond with the plastic but I was skeptical of the durability of the glue in contact with gasoline. I dipped a glue stick in gasoline for 1/2 hr. It came out a little slippery but other wise held up. Worth a try.

So I let the glue gun get good and hot and applied a first pass along the crack, overlapping well on all sides. After it was cool I applied two more thick layers overlapping the previous layers to add some strength. It didn't look pretty (sorry no pictures) but the strength was there, hopefully it would hold.

I half filled the tank with fuel and tipped it on edge so all the head press. was concentrated on the repair area and left it overnight with a catch pan underneath (just in case, lol). It held up well no leaks. Reinstalled and reassembled the tractor. I will keep trying with Sears, hopefully eventually get a replacement.

While I am on the subject of the yard tractor, here is a hack I did many years ago to the plow blade. The blade was meant for light snow clearing and not heavy duty enough for more demanding work around the yard like light landscaping. The mount to the tractor was time consuming and the adjustment from the seat was poorly designed and more often than not required you leave the seat to adjust.

I got rid of the adjustment from the seat all together, beefed up the blade, angle adjustment and mounting assembly, so that it could handle earth moving and grading tasks. And for quick change overs, I built the tractor mount to match the snowblower mount, so switch overs takes seconds. Control of the blade hight is with the same lever that raises and lowers the snowblower. I can do quite fine grading work with it. Here are some pictures.





And here is another picture of this summers work with all the coats of finish applied.


So the snow has melted, the clouds are clearing out and the temp. is rising again. Finally get started with my firewood this afternoon. lol.

Update

So heres the first cut of firewood, ready to stack. If anyone wants more info or pics. of my firewood cutting frame and procedure, you can find it here. Firewood Cutting Frame.


Found this in the wood pile. Forgot I had it. Will make a nice header for a door or window or other project. The remainder was even curvier but too thin for project work. Found it growing along the ground with only the thin top reaching for the sky.