Saturday, December 16, 2017

We Test The Startrite Saw

So I spent the afternoon setting up and testing the Startrite saw. After tensioning the blade, I checked tracking, made a small adjustment to the idler wheel so blade ran close but not tight to step. Loosened the blade guides and let them find their level on the blade re-tightened them. Using a strip of standard weight writing paper, set the guide clearances. And finally, double checked that the vise jaws were square to the blade.

So does it cut metal? I decided rather than fool around with  home brews, to cut dry for now, when its out in the garage/workshop I can play around with some of the ideas for wet cutting outlined in the previous post.

To start I chose a couple of chunky hunks of metal from storage. In the picture below, the first one is a 5" diameter hunk of aluminum. I want to cut the circular plate to utilize it as a lathe dog driver or other project the rest will be feed for the melting furnace. The second hunk of metal is a 4" mild steel pipe with a welded base. Before it was scrapped it had been the mounting base for one of those old "huge" satellite dishes. I want to keep the assembly, so I will just cut a ring of ruff metal off the end to clean it up.


First set the blade speed 225 fpm for aluminum.


Two pictures of the cut.



Next the mild steel 4" pipe, speed 160 fpm.


Three pictures of the cut.




The results, the cuts went smoothly and much faster than my little 4X6 import. The cuts were very accurate, no play what so ever in my square, and the aluminum disk will only require a couple of facing passes to finish off.



So thats it for this project. I will set this saw up in the welding area of my new workshop, old garage/workshop. It will handle all of the larger cuts rather than abusing my smaller saw and abrasive chop saws the way I have been doing.