So the first job was to make the front axle hangers. I started of by cutting two rectangles 2 1/2" X 10" X 1/4" from some scrap pieces I had in stock. I first drilled them out using a similar method as that used to drill the hoist hangers in a previous post.
Next I scored the bend lines with my grinder and started to bend the tough steel to shape. First with a vise and a 3 lb hammer and finished of with a large piece of RR rail and a 10 lb hammer. In the picture all done.
To weld them in place first measure 3 times before you strike an arc (ha, ha). Generally accepted practice for trailers is 60 % of length from front and 40 % from the back, for axle placement. To track properly measure from the front in case your side lengths are even a little different. In this case the axle measurement is actually to the right of the cross channel, and the bracket placement is measured from there.
Here the brackets are welded in place, and the axle assembly is bolted to the brackets, using the same bolts and hardware from the Cavalier.
Here is the trailing arm. This is where the rear shocks were connected on the Cavalier. I considered reusing them but they would have been to high, and in the way. I didn't like the idea of a metal to metal connection here so I dug out 4, 1/2" thick 2 1/2" square hard rubber disks, that were center drilled. I used two on each side to cushion the connection between the 2" X 2" tubing welded to the frame and the trailing arm on the axle assembly. I put a good squeeze on the rubber discs with washers and self locking nuts.
So flipped the trailer over with my mobile shop hoist. Here is a picture of how the whole assembly looks. Excuse the dark picture, expand it helps.
So we installed the A frame jack, and we are ready to roll.
Did you say "sawmill" no,no, this is my double motorcycle and snowmobile trailer, just needs floor boards, a railing, and tie down rings, lol, (bear with me, I had to say that ha,ha).
As you can see it's quite low to the ground. My height adjustable tow hitch is on my other truck. Took it out to the highway and back for a good run. Tows easy, even when goosing it, theirs no swaying, it holds straight and true. From what I could tell in my mirrors it was always well centered down the centerline. Checked the tire tracks (what little tread their is) in softer material, track and tread were clearly defined, indicating good tracking. I'm sure it's not perfect, but probably as close as you can get a home built.
Here I disconnected from the truck and put a level on the carriage track. Dropped the leveling jacks and leveled it up.
So I have got to catch up on some domestic chores. Hopefully get back at it Thursday.