The carriage stops welded in place. The cable pulleys also welded and installed.
The winch mounting plate welded in place and the winch bolted to the plate. The winch is an inexpensive 1500 lb. ATV winch. Canadian Tire had a sale on them a number of years ago, I got 4 of them for $40 each (packrat, ha, ha).
Here you can see the connection to the carriage and the end frame pulleys.
The springs serve three purposes, first they keep the raps on the winch drum tight to prevent slipping, second they provide a shock absorber, for the winch, if you hit the stops hard, and thirdly they are also a shock absorber for the blade, when contacting hard material like a knot or other material.
So I pulled out a small battery and tried it out. Here's the quick and lazy set up. The control is a simple three position switch, forward, stop, and reverse. There is a knob on the drum side of the winch to disengage the drum from the gear reducer so you can free wheel. This will come in handy if the feed speed is not to my liking on a small log or to fast for a large tough birch. Disengaging the winch will allow me to push the carriage by hand at a suitable speed.
This is where video would really be nice. The past three elected governments all promised affordable high speed internet for everyone. I'm still waiting, did anybody here that, ha, ha. Here I run the carriage to the back using the winch. The spring absorbed the shock easily when hitting the stop.
Here I run the carriage to the other end, full travel stop to stop 9'.
I timed the full run and determined the feed rate at 10 fpm, At 23 hp a Norwood mill averages 25 fpm on 12-14" logs, faster for softwoods, slower for tough woods like oak, or hickory etc. The speed I determined was with a bare drum. I will add three cable raps to the drum, to bring the speed up close to 15 fpm. Since the toughest wood I have is birch and not to much of it is over 18", this should be relatively easy on the 15 hp motor.
So I used just a small lawn tractor battery, I run it back and forth at least 5 times without any noticeable loss of power. I put my weight against the carriage and I couldn't stop it, it pushed me. I doubt the charging system on the engine will keep up with usage, so the plan right now is for two large marine batteries.
So I'll spend the next couple of days fine tuning this feed and cleaning up and finishing up small stuff, to prepare for the head build.