Friday, August 17, 2018

Seat Of My Pants Engineering - Corrections

So I started yesterday by reinstalling the carriage on the mill frame. I soon found out that my large blade guides were going to increase the minimum thickness of the last board without raising it off the bunks with a filler board. I proceeded to trim the bottom bearing mounts and modified the mounting bracket so that the bearing assembly was 1 1/2" lower than the rest of the bracket to prevent any possible hang-ups. The result the 2" bearing and 1" mount are the only thing lower than the blade. This increases my last cut to 2" thickness. A 1 1/2" filler board under the last cut will bring my minimum last cut to 1/2". Easy. I will need to raise the stops on the slide head to avoid running the bottom bearings into the carriage in a moment of inattention, ha' ha.


Here's how commercial mills get around this problem. There is no bottom bearing, instead there is a grooved flat surface. It is only right that they include lubrication and cooling engineered in. I suspect these produce more heat from friction and wear on the blade, without it.


So that was my morning yesterday. I spent the rest of the day making some finer adjustments and playing with the drives on the mill. Ideally this picture is the operating position. All operating functions, short of loading and turning the log, can be done from this location, even unloading a board is only a step away. When the electrical is done I hope to install extensions to the two winch controllers, so I can move around and observe the cuts as they progress.


So I made some fine adjustments to the sliding head, got the wheels perfectly parallel to each other and after setting the blade guides with good tension on the blade, I adjusted the lift cables so the blade was perfectly parallel to the carriage bunks. 


During this time I had both winches connected to the same battery I had used the previous day. I run the head slide up and down and the carriage end to end all afternoon, (I'm going to enjoy playing with this ha,ha.) without any noticeable loss of power. With 2 batteries and the small charging contribution from the engine system, a full day of sawing shouldn't be a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment