Thursday, August 2, 2018

Started On Adjustable Belt Tension Assembly

So I had intended on adding a further angle iron support to the motor base but the 1" plate is more than sufficient, the angle would be overkill. I did add an extra 3 - 3/8" X 4" bolts, making for a 3" spacing the full length of the plate.

The base complete I started on the belt tension adjustment. The motor base will be bolted to this assembly. This assembly will serve two purposes, first adjust belt tension and second, as mentioned before, lacking a motor clutch, it will loosen the belt enough to disengage the motor or quickly tighten the belt to engage the motor. I have seen many pictures of home built's using similar methods. No one mentioned it, but I suspect belt life may be shortened, we will see.

So I started with a hunk of aluminum 1 1/2" X 10 1/2" X 9", I reduced it to 10 1/2" X 7 1/2" and then cut two guide angles off the long sides. The clean smooth cuts from the Startrite still amaze me.


Here finished cutting and cleaned up.



To reduce the contact friction on the slider I recessed the bottom on the mill drill. Not worried about the finish here so I hogged it off in one pass.



Trying it out on the base here.


Here you can see the extra 3 bolts I added to bolt the base to the head. The paper is a template for the motor base which will be bolted to the slider.


Lots more work before this assembly is complete, maybe get there tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment